Pre- & Post-Construction Fertilizing & Care
Even when we take the best protective measures, construction may still injure or stress trees.
Pre-construction Tree Care Checklist
Before construction starts a licensed arborist:
- May recommend fertilizing to boost tree vigor.
- Makes a visual inspection of the tree and its surroundings.
- Removes split, broken, or diseased branches.
- Cables or braces branches or trunk that need support.
- May recommend additional irrigation to reduce stress.
- Often applies a thick layer of mulch to reduce moisture loss and protect the soil.
- Ensures a sturdy fence is erected to protect the Critical Root Zone (CRZ).
- Will put planking around the trunk to guard against mechanical injury.
During the project arborists:
- Continue to monitor the trees for injury or signs of stress.
- Work with project managers to be sure contractors are avoiding the CRZ.
- Irrigate when needed.
- Offer expert licensed arborist advice when changes need to be made during construction.
Post-construction the licensed arborist will:
- Assess the trees for damage to the bark and trunk and repair it when possible.
- Apply mulch at the proper depth to protect the soil and conserve water.
- Look for signs of soil compaction and mechanically aerate the root zone if needed.
- Use the AirSpade (TM)……… to aerate and loosen compacted soil when needed.
- Apply deep root irrigation and feeding to inject nutrients.
- Supplement essential microbes and humates.
- Evaluate the soil humus and often add compost to provide long-lasting fertility.
Practical Methods Will Protect Trees During Construction
Construction may injure or stress trees, resulting in damage or loss over time, even with the correct protective measures in place.
Fortunately, there are things we can do both before and after building to improve growing conditions and reduce damage to trees, roots, and soil.
Post-construction Monitoring by an Arborist Tree Service
Despite everyone’s best efforts, some trees may never recover from the stresses caused by construction. Arborists must continue monitoring the trees for several years after the project is complete.
Trees often appear healthy after construction while they have extensive root damage. The arborist looks for changes in the foliage and indications of hidden decay. Stressed trees are more likely to be attacked by certain pests and be more susceptible to disease.
A long-term health care plan is the best assurance your trees will flourish during the critical period following construction. Heritage Tree Care provides monitoring for insects and disease and providing proper nutrients and pruning.
Tree Care Services by Experienced, Certified Arborists
Tree Care Plans
Heritage Tree Care can develop short- and long-term plans to keep your trees healthy with less effort. We provide soil improvement, mulching, fertilization, and more.
Our arborists can evaluate trees, review tree surveys, and help formulate tree protection plans to speed up your building applications and tree permits.
Armoring, Mulching, Soil Protection
We provide armoring to protect trees from mechanical injury, and place soil protection mats and mulching to protect the critical root zone.
Central Texas tree experts, we can consult on choosing the best native and non-native trees, evaluating existing trees, and mitigation plans.
Certified Risk Assessors analyze the structural integrity of the trees and advise you of potentially dangerous situations.
Proper tree care starts with a health assessment. An arborist evaluates the health of your trees, starting with their environment.
Pruning & Removal
Our experts can prune and shape valuable trees for both safety and aesthetic value. We have the equipment and experience to handle the most difficult tree removals.
Pre- and Post-construction Fertilizing
Strengthen trees with proper irrigation and fertilizing before work begins. We also provide contracted post-construction tree care to increase tree survival.
Root Pruning & Root Locating
Using modern tools and careful excavation, we can create root maps to facilitate placement of utilities, structural piers, or other aspects of the design.
Expert certified arborists are available for consulting and providing detailed reports regarding tree protection, risk assessments, and value appraisals.
Heritage Tree Care is the tree service expert in your Central Texas community. We service Austin, Bastrop, Buda, Gonzales, Hyde Park, Kyle, Lockhart, Rollingwood, San Marcos, Smithville, Westlake Hills, Wimberly, and all surrounding areas.